Sunday, July 08, 2007

April, May, June... July + Googlemapping Question

Ok, it's back to writing, which I have missed. I won't bother you with all of the reasons I haven't been writing, but they are manifold. Some deal with trying to land a job, which is still an operation. Others have had to do with end of the school year break. But now that it looks like I will no longer be teaching any time soon (but that could change too!)my relationship with thinking about communication techs is changing. For one, I have jumped wholeheartedly into web 2.0 techs as it is clearer to me for a litany of reasons that this is something I am passionate about. Put simply, so many remind me so much of why I have always enjoyed popular music: it's on-the-ground technologies that are mobilized for social pleasures and aesthetic debate. Whenever I present so many people talk about how I rarely talk about the music and the truth is I love the music but my passion is what people do with the music and how they make it popular. The simple phrase I have always had is that "I am not as interested in popular music as much as I am interested in what makes music popular!". Web 2.0 is the same for me. More on that later.

So here is a quick call out for anyone who is interested in Googlemaps and KML composition. I have one question: why is semantic tagging seemingly soooooooo damn difficult right now for googlemap locations. I know there there are a lot of programs that allow you to make maps with tagging, but they all feel inadequate when you compare it to the relatively map oriented rather than location-oriented. Any ideas? This is a big question for me since it is key to Googlemaps really becoming a useful tool for all kinds of economic development that is niche oriented. Please, write me and let me know.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: