Sunday, April 22, 2007

Been Making My First Google Map Mash Up!

This weekend has been a lot of student writing so I haven't had much time to do any of my own thinking or reading. However, when I take breaks I have been on the web composing with Mapbuilder.net, which is an online mapping tool. It's pretty easy and in a few hours of messing around I have made this map of pop music in Ohio in the 20th century. I have taken almost all of my info from Wikipedia and utilizing my skills have composed a good beginning map. I will be looking for some collaborators and I hope to expand on it. That said, I am pretty happy with the application and look forward to learning how to develop not only the map, but my own mapping and tagging skills. I have to say, personal geographies really are the s**t if you ask me. I think it has great potential for all kinds of academics, particularly those of us who do critical theoretical/historical work on mass media. For example, one of the things that is quite interesting already for me is mapping the famous funk scene of the Dayton/Miami Valley area: How is it that the Southwestern corner of Ohio got so much funk? Just looking at the bands in this area, you wonder why there isn't a solid book on this.

Ok, I need to get back to reading and grading, but I hope you enjoy it. You can always access the map through the button on the sidebar that says "My Maps". If you have any suggestions contact me and let's talk about making it better. Oh, and remember, Cleveland rocks!


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

katie said...

The funk in the southwest balances out the punk in the northeast. And as Jack Donaghy would say "we all want to leave for the Cleve..."

Jason Mittell said...

So how do you define "from Ohio"? As an Oberlin grad, I'd love to testify to Bitch Magnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitch_Magnet ) being formed in Ohio. And don't forget Firehose's Ed fROMOHIO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Crawford ). And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs:_Ohia . Good luck!