Monday, November 03, 2008

Sick Days, One Day, Cher Day, Bragg Day, Hey Hey Hey



Let's begin with the beginning. After my wife came to visit last week with my stepdaughter, the germs they spread decided to take up temporary residence in my sinuses. It's been one limping day after another as I try to get healthy. Still, I am doing what I can to get through election day. Instead of knocking on doors, I decided that data entry was the best I could do and the whole kit and kaboodle will culminate with me working the polls beginning at 5:30am (polls open at 6am) until 4pm. I will tell you more about that sometime this week.


But with one day left, I have a few random thoughts I would like to get out of my head before I start to grade...


1) Facebook is forcing people to get connected who they never wanted to be connected with again. The result has been a rise of self-reflection about more past relationships than anyone could have imagined. Score another side effect for online social networking.


2)Obama rallies have begun to rekindle the best hopes of the 1960s. My wife went to the Obama rally in Columbus and the above picture is of about 20 or so people doing the electric slide (or bus stop to others) in the middle of High Street. The rally drew about 60000 people and my wife walked away really emotionally drained, as if this was the greatest event that she had ever attended. For what it is worth, she and the rest of her family are all Hillary supporters and she has harbored quite a bit of cynicism about Obama's campaign. That said, she has been a supporter for months but I don't think she expected this kind of feeling. But people dancing in the streets and acting positively under the direction of a leader can only energize you with hope. It can also be dangerous... but I don't think I see anything too wrong with the electric slide. It can make you feel like the future can be different if all work and dance together. What a feeling!Click image to view


For what its worth. I didn't think that that feeling was possible again.


3) The A&E Cher Biography I watched yesterday was the best television I watched all weekend.


4) The Billy Bragg show, which I saw last week and will blog about this week after the election, was beyond great. Not as good as the Gogol Bordello show I saw this year, but a solid, if distant, second.


5) I really miss Fat Albert. I just wanted to say that. I think I am in need of the DVDs... anyone?




4 comments:

Bryan Alexander said...

Bill Bragg, Gogol Bordello... hm. That's a productive mix.

Hope your head feels better.

Chris said...

You really miss Fat Albert? I had such mixed feeling for that show - it came at the tail of the Saturday cartoon morning and marked the beginning of the end. My mom would be in, predictably, during Fat Albert to say Go Outside! The guy with the clamshell head really freaked me out, too.

Anonymous said...

Cher is one of my favourites.
What a great listing Darling. A really great artist with such a clarity of voice and lyrically terrific.

Discount Cher Tickets said...

Cher is all time hit and favourite of music fans. when you head the Cher you soul feel fresh ....